Today we finally found the south-east corner of the house – better preserved than the north-east one which has been removed by the sebbakhin - but still rather cut around. This enabled us to measure the house from north to south and it is 10.4m, which is, rather neatly, 20 cubits. We expect the house to have a square foundation so knowing its width should help us to locate the western side.
The south-east corner of the house which still needs cleaning.
To the south of the house our trench also located another mud-brick wall of an adjacent (but possibly later) building which extends further to the south. Surface traces would indicate that it is the northern wall of a much smaller structure than our town house but we need to clean and study the sections of the trench to work out the relationship of the two buildings.
Magda and Jeff defining the northern wall of the building south of the town house.
Although the wind was still strong today, it wasn’t as cold as it has been for the past few days, so we’re hoping the weather generally will start to warm up a bit now. I mentioned previously the tendency of those building new houses here to block roads with their construction materials, so here’s a photo I took today on our drive back through Riyad.
The main road from Riyad to Kafr es-Sheikh partly blocked by piles of sand and pebbles for concrete-mixing. Sometimes one carriageway is totally blocked and then parts of the central reservation (which can be seen below the mounds, are removed to create an unofficial contraflow.